Earth Strike NYC is an autonomous member of the international Earth Strike collective. We believe:
- Climate destruction is an injustice caused by colonialism and capitalism.
- It impacts different groups in different and intersecting ways.
- To confront the climate crisis, we must take direct action against colonialism and capitalism.
- This action must center the radical climate demands of the direct victims of these systems.
General organizing principles
Jemez principles. These were written by the Southwest Network for Environmental and Economic Justice, 1996.
- Be inclusive.
- Emphasis on bottom-up organizing
- Let people speak for themselves.
- Work together in solidarity and mutuality.
- Build just relationships among ourselves.
- Commitment to self-transformation
ES-NYC specific principles:
We oppose colonialism and capitalism full stop. We choose to focus our energies against those manifestations of capitalism which most directly relate to our demands.
St. Paul principles. These were written by various groups protesting the Republican National Convention, St. Paul, MN, 2008.
- Our solidarity will be based on respect for a diversity of tactics and the plans of other groups.
- The actions and tactics used will be organized to maintain a separation of time or space.
- Any debates or criticisms will stay internal to the movement, avoiding any public or media denunciations of fellow activists and events.
- We oppose any state repression of dissent, including surveillance, infiltration, disruption and violence. We agree not to assist law enforcement actions against activists and others.